Thursday, December 24, 2009

Is it truly harmful to shampoo your hair everyday?

I feel gross if I don't wash and blow dry my hair every single day. In the Spring and Summertime, I will sometimes go without blowdrying but I HAVE to at least shampoo. Would it be better to just use conditioner every other day?Is it truly harmful to shampoo your hair everyday?
Well it really just depends what kind of hair you have....but most people it dries there hair out washing it everyday!Is it truly harmful to shampoo your hair everyday?
yes it harmful cause it washes out all the nutrients in your hair...but i dont care if its harmful or not i still wash my hair every day cause it feels grows without washing it
no matter what type of hair you have you have natural oils in your hair that you don't want to wash away even if your hair is oily once a week maybe twice a week is okay but always use stay in conditoner you don't want dry brittle hair
I used to be the same way. As i grew older i realized my hair was starting to look like straw %26amp; no conditioner would help it. Then I started washing my hair every other day instead of everyday %26amp; I felt my hair was becoming more healthy looking. I now go maybe 2 days w/out washing %26amp; my hair has never felt better.
Nearly all shampoos cause hair loss — this is the outlandish claim of the “grunge” new wave, and I’m not talking about rock music. This is why the followers of the grunge movement have binned shampoo. They believe the ingredients in shampoo kill hair growth. My initial reaction was disgust — eeeughh, dirty filthy beasts. But, to my surprise, countless people have reported the shedding of hair had reduced after giving shampoo the elbow. Some even sprouted fresh hair. This was enough to entice me off my well shampooed high horse and give grunge a go.





Is Shampoo Such a Bad Boy?


Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is the ingredient in shampoo that has been singled out as the offending culprit. If you use shampoo then you’re drenching your head in SLS – it’s found in over 95 percent of commercial shampoos. SLS is a potent de-greaser, acting as a surfactant, binding to the dirt and gunk on your hair and scalp. After rinsing your hair, the grime is dragged down the plug hole by the SLS. SLS takes no prisoners, dirt is zapped away and your hair is left bright and bouncy. Yet even after rinsing SLS residue may have taken up camp in and on your scalp. Exposure itself may be enough to cause problems.





SLS is also commonly found in detergents used for cleaning garage floors and engines. Some grungers cry foul: “if it is used for industrial cleaning what the **** is it doing to my hair?” But this argument is flawed. Many substances are used both industrially and by humans. Baking soda is used for high strength cleaning, yet we happily munch on cakes baked with it. The only side effect, a satisfied and bigger belly.





One grunge theory warns we are laid bare to the effects of SLS just after a follicle has shed its hair. That those empty and open follicles die when exposed to the acidic nature of SLS for long enough, or in enough quantity. As part of the normal hair cycle the average person sheds over one hundred hairs every day. That’s ample opportunity to expose empty follicles to an SLS attack. When a follicle is dead you can say au revoir to that hair for good. Yet, there is no solid proof. More firm theories imply SLS causes hair damage by acting irritant:





The demonstration that levels of Cu,Zn-SOD within the epidermis are significantly reduced following topical exposure to irritants strongly suggests that oxidative stress is involved in the inflammatory process. Importantly, as regards our understanding of the mechanisms involved in ICD, this change appears not to be restricted to dithranol, which is known to generate ROS during auto-oxidation, but also extends to chemicals such as SLS, which are not normally directly associated with ROS generation.





http://www.john-libbey-eurotext.fr/en/re… 00/01/88/59/article.md





Autoradiographic studies of rat skin treated with radiolabelled Sodium Lauryl Sulfate found heavy deposition of the detergent on the skin surface and in the hair follicles; damage to the hair follicle could result from such deposition. Further, it has been reported that 1 percent and 5 percent Sodium Lauryl Sulfate produced significant number of comedones when applied to the pinna of albino rabbits. These two problems - possible hair loss and comedone formation - along with proven irritancy, should be considered in the formulation of cosmetic products…[Conclusion] Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate appear to be safe in formulations designed for discontinuous, brief use followed by thorough rinsing from the surface of the skin. In products intended for prolonged contact with skin, concentrations should not exceed 1 percent.





Published in the Journal of the American College of Toxicology, Volume 2, Number 7, pp. 127-181, 1983





It’s claimed irritation causes inflammation. Inflammation is strongly linked as a big player in the hair loss puzzle. One of the studies applied a mere 5 percent solution of SLS — shampoo has whopping 10 to 20 percent solution. However, the study applied the SLS for over 5 hours. Unless you are cuckoo, most people only apply shampoo for a few minutes before washing it out. It’s not clear if average shampoo use over the years could have a snowballing effect similar to results of these studies. Again, frustratingly inconclusive. Equally, these studies did not fill me with confidence that SLS is as innocent as shampoo manufacturers would have us believe. Common sense dictates, at the very least, if you are going to use SLS based shampoo, rinse thoroughly. Use less, rather than more shampoo. And whatever you do, don’t snooze in the bath tub just after you lathered your hair.





On the other hand, SLS has been used in shampoo for over fifty years by millions of people, millions of times, repeatedly. So why isn’t everyone bald? There is a glut of possible reasons. Some people may be more sensitive to SLS than others, perhaps some sort of mild allergic reaction. It’s possible people with male pattern baldness may be more susceptible to the alleged evils of SLS. Some people may use less shampoo and so are less exposed, or maybe they rinse their hair more thoroughly, so there is less residue. Hair length could be a factor. The more hair you have the more dilute the residue will be on your hair and scalp, a possible reason why women don’t bald as much as men. There a hundreds of possibilities, alas nothing concrete. So what did I decide to do?





Going Grunge


I was left with more questions than answers, but there was a pile of information big enough to cast a lingering shadow over SLS. Although not fully convinced by the grunge arguments, the benefits of not using shampoo seemed to outweigh the SLS doubts — better the devil you know… So, I chucked my shampoo and embraced grunge.





Typically I had been washing my hair two or three times a week with an SLS based shampoo. I stuck to this washing schedule. For the first couple of weeks I rinsed with just warm water. My hair looked like someone had emptied a deep fat fryer on my head. As the weeks progressed the greasiness subsided and my hair started to look healthy again. Regular brushing seemed to help a lot. Four months on and my hair is looking almost good as it did pre-shampoo era. It doesn’t feel quite as squeaky clean and fresh as it did when using shampoo, yet my girlfriend can’t tell the difference.





Now for good news, it seems the rate that my hair was shedding has dramatically reduced. I could speculate that SLS weakens follicles even when hair is residing in them. Also, I used to get occasional dandruff — not any more. I suspect the ingredients in shampoo used to dry my scalp out.





I don’t think I’lll ever use SLS based shampoo again. Even if it doesn’t cause hair loss there are no real benefits gained from using it over good old fashioned water, other than that extra layer of gloss. Instead I have found some shampoos made from all natural ingredients, with no SLS, or any other scary sounding substances. I am going take this all natural shampoo for a test drive for a couple of months, it could be the hair cleaning holy grail – pristine hair with none of the potential SLS side effects lurking in the background.





If any of you have gone grunge or swapped to sodium lauryl sulfate free shampoo please leave a comment — has it helped or hindered your hair growth? Or if you like, you can just shout out me for being a greasy grunger. Rock on.
i would only reccomend you shampooing your hair every day if you have oily hair. my sister has oily hair and she washes it every day and her hair is fine.
YES, it makes your hair very dry, hence less shiny. Try shampooing every other day and conditioning everyday, it cam make you hair moire vibrant and shiny
Shampooing your hair everyday will strip your hair of natural oils and vitamens that your hair needs to be healthy, so it can be harmful to your hair to wash everyday than on top of that blowdry. I would at least try and cut your hair washing down to everyother day.
i think it is bad to do it everyday, but i'm the same way; i hate not shampooing it
It's bs to say that its altogether bad especially when not everyone is the same. I wash my hair everyday and my hair is just fine and it's dyed too. For some reason my hair loves it since its growing a lot faster than when I just wash it once every three days, then again I have been washing my hair everyday since I was 9 so my hair is accustom of it. Blow drying does dry out the follicle so be careful with that. As for conditioners.. hmm. so far nothing bad in my department. Just keep in mind not everyone is the same, for one person washing everyday can lead to hair loss while for someone else its the end of it. Hair is like a plant and there are tons of different species of plants so are there various types of hair.
yes thats true
Yes, it is bad. It strips the natural oils from your hair. I agree, I feel nasty if I don't wash it everyday, so I try and make up for it by using really good conditioner.
I use to wash my hair every day and my scalp was dry. My hairdresser told me to wash my hair every couple of days. My scalp is better and my hair is really healthy and shiny. And the only time a blow dryer is used on me is when I get my hair done at the salon. I wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week and my hair has never looked better. Good luck.
shampooing your hair everyday really is bad for your hair and blow drying is worse, you should skip 2 days between washing your hair or at least every other day and you should never shampoo your hair without conditioning other wise you hair will be even worse. if you do have to wash your hair everyday you should use more conditioner and leave it in your hair for a couple of minutes, and only blow dry your hair when you have too. If you have more oily hair its not as bad to wash it everyday.
a gigantic YES.
yes true
It depends what kind of hair you have. If you have oily hair, you should shampoo every day, or almost every day. However, shampooing strips your hair of its natural oils that it needs to be healthy. So if you have dry hair, you should shampoo about every other day. If you can't bear to do that, at least use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
if you have oily hair then it is ok. if your hair is dry then wash every other day. i have washed my hair every day for years and most people like the way it looks.
I wash my hair every day aswell because i live in humid weather and use a lot of hairspray and like you, I feel gross if i don't wash it out.





Depending on what kind of Shampoo you use it could be harmful, You don't want your hair to be stripped of it's natural oils because then you hair will start to look '; deadish '; and dull.





Try looking throgh the shops for an every day shampoo or something that suits your needs, There are a lot out there.





You could also buy a hair conditioning mask to help restore the weakness dryness ( if any ) from blow drying hair.
I wash my hair every day and it's okay. I use a light conditioner to prevent it from getting tangled and damaged.





The blow-drying is more likely to damage your hair than the washing.
Well it is true but try to put olive oil when your hair is still wet. Then your hair won't go dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment